Friday, October 19, 2012

The Hubris of the argument for lack of belief.


I speak with many who claim a lack of belief in a divine power. I respect their views and find them more honest than many of the "believers" I speak with. Let's be honest, if we truly believed, or KNEW GOD, in that sense of knowing that is more than rationalization or proclamation, we'd throw ourselves down and be crippled by His awesomeness.


I mean "knowing" as in the greek word for "know your spouse" in the bible. An intimate, in depth, experienced, lived, felt, comprehended, trusted sort of knowledge. Heinline coined a phrase in "Stranger in a Strange Land", GROK. You can find it in most dictionaries I think these days. It meant to understand at an intuitive level. To "FEEL" it or be so familiar with it, it becomes assumed without question. I GROK the effects of gravity in my life. I KNOW, even though I can't put it into words how it will affect me.


I can't make that claim about God. I don't think you can either. Lots of folks will be offended, some will feign offense, and more will be threatened because they think that by claiming that belief, or knowing, of God gains them that eternal escape from punishment. They think if they question this, they admit to having no faith. I'd argue rather than wanting to grow in faith, they are wanting to claim a faith they don't yet have. But, that's not why I'm here. I don't mean to question anyone's faith, or their belief. I would encourage everyone to not rest smug with a proclamation of faith alone, however.


The Agnostics, Atheists, Agnostic-atheists, etc... that I've discussed God with nearly all come to a point where they make a point against the essence of the belief in the God I run the race to meet. It's something like this. "Don't you think, that to claim you are the ONLY faith that has it right, is a bit arrogant? Who are you to make a proclamation that you can't prove, and expect me to accept it?"


HEY! Let's be honest. That's a pretty honest and fair question.

No comments:

Post a Comment